Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Awd not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 AM
Default Awd not working

My 2005 Pacifica I recently purchased seems to have an issue with the awd system. I had the abs light on and replaced the two front wheel hubs and that fixed the abs, but still no awd. Is there a common problem with the awd in these cars that is likely the problem? A mechanic told me it is likely the ecu, does that sound right?

Old 01-09-2019, 03:13 PM

When on the mechanic’s lift all four wheels spin and then the rear wheels disengage. After turning the ignition off and back on, all four briefly spin and the rear disengage again. Is there a common cause for this on these vehicles? Mechanic tells me I have to keep driving until a code gets set off. At least I now know it isn’t a mechanical issue, just something electronic shutting it down.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:21 AM

Was the ABS system checked for codes or did you just replace the hubs in the hope it would resolve the issue?

I am not too sure on the AWD system of the pacifica, but given that you have had an ABS light in the past, I would consider checking the ABS sensors on the rear, if these are faulty it can lock out AWD systems on some cars.

I do agree with the mechanic on that a code would help diagnose this issue a lot better.

It could be worth doing a full reset on the car, battery unplugged for a while to let all power drain out of all the electronics. Make sure you have your radio code if required, you can try starting the car whilst the battery is disconnected to speed up the process and drain power quicker. This would cause the car to run a full diagnostic and may then give an error code possibly.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:45 AM

The ABS light was on when I purchased the vehicle. I bought and replaced the two front end wheel bearings with the ABS sensors and the ABS light turned off moments after I started driving. One of the battery terminal ends was replaced, so the battery was disconnected for a while. The wheel bearings I put on are the cheap ones from eBay. The mechanic told me that they could be good enough to not set off codes for ABS but still cause the all-wheel-drive to not function.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:54 AM

Is there a reason that you chose the cheap none-recommended bearings as opposed to OEM ones at all?

Can you disconnect a sensor on the ABS and check that the warning light comes on? There could potentially be an issue with the ABS issue reporting part, let's just rule that out by checking to make sure that the warning light can still come back on.

What was wrong with the original battery terminal?

Also have you checked voltage output on the car as well, should be around 13.5v when the engine is running over the battery terminals and around 12v when the engine is off. I know there is no battery warning lights on at the moment but let's just check voltage and remove that potential.

This does appear to be a case of eliminating what it can't be, until we are left with what it must be.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:51 AM

You said it, cheap. I got the cheap ones because I figured they would last a lot longer than I would need them for. I bought a code scanner that reads ABS and SRS codes. Even with the new wheel bearings it is reading that I need a new ABS sensor on the front passenger side wheel. I’m wondering if it could be caused from a dirty connector or something further up the line past the sensor. My plan is to drive it for maybe a week or so and bring it back to see if anything is showing up. I would really like to get the all wheel drive functioning.

Last edited by chiaronate; 01-10-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:06 AM

I would say that is your fault then if there is still a sensor issue in place, that will cause limited functionality. Try cleaning all the connectors for the sensors and seeing what happens then, what are the brake discs and pads like for life? If they are a bit low, that can flag up sensor issues at times as well but that is me speaking in general.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:21 AM

The ABS light turned off seconds after driving with the new wheel bearings in place. I don’t know why my code scanner is picking it up. I also don’t know why the mechanic’s code scanner is not picking it up, but he scanned it several weeks after I did. Maybe it cleared out by then.