Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
Default oil pressure light

Has any one had this happen yet engine light came on so when I got to the store and checked the oil it was 1 qt low ,I put more oil in it and the oil light still comes on. The manual says it's the oil pressure light and to stop driving, any input would be helpful.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Default RE: oil pressure light

You need to have a gauge put on it to read the oil pressure. If you drive the car with too low or too high oil pressure (which is caused by a bigger problem), serious engine damage could result. That quart low of oil went somewhere... when was the last time it was full?

Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 PM

At the last oil change, I am 900 miles away from being due for another one. The vehicle just went on a trip to Tennessee would that use that much oil.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:49 AM

Well in theory oil should NEVER be "used", but every engine burns or leaks a little eventually throughout its life. I don't what "a trip to Tennessee" means because I have no idea how many miles that is for you. But highway miles are the easiest on cars & components, so assuming it was a long highway trip then no that should not cause excessive oil loss. Being a quart low is not the end of the world or not all that uncommon in older & high mileage engines, but it could indicate a leak or other condition that is affecting your oil pressure. Hence the warning light.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM

I will be taking it in on Monday for service, vehicle runs good maybe sensor went bad or when it runs low the sensor has to be reset don't know. I don't want my engine to blow by just brushing it off as "It's just a dummy light" It could be nothing serious and have to pay for something that I did not need to, or It could be serious and the warranty will cover it.She has 48,000 miles on her
with a strong 3.5 motor perhaps I'm just paranoid.On the last oil change I went to Walmart ,they refused to do it because the plug acted like it was stripped so I took It back to the dealer and they changed the oil, they did not mention that they had trouble with the plug. The oil has always been changed at the dealer and I have all the receipts since purchased. I do not see any oil in the driveway so maybe It leaks only when driving.Thanks for your input.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM

That's pretty low mileage to be losing that much oil IMO. If it's still under warranty I'd certainly mention that and the oil plug. The oil plug should be mentioned anyway if they have been the only ones to change the oil then they stripped it. You could very well be losing oil out that way if it's cross-threaded. Post back with the results!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:19 PM

I will have to drop It off late in the afternoon so I will post back on Tuesday.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

not sure where the quart of oil went and the dealership here in Rockford IL, are not smart enough to figure it out.The reason for the light coming on was an internal short in the oil sending unit
which cost $81.60 to fix, not sure if cold starts would affect oil usage or not as this is the first time that I have seen it use oil.Thanks for all the input