Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Transmission "Clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 AM
Default Transmission Clunk

The only thing I can add to the excellent post by Rapidfireservices is have you ever serviced the transmission and, if so, did you use REAL Allison filters? There have been a lot of reports of aftermarket filters that LOOK just like OEM failing. I had a Baldwin come apart on me.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Default Clunk when cold

I have an 08 Pacifica 4 Liter 6 Speed and transmission or something clunks every time right at 15MPH when it shifts into second. Feels like a manual transmission popping the clutch and sounds like a big rock slamming under the driver side. Dealer says it's OK.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Default I had the same clunk in my 05 AWD Pacifica

I didn't pay much attention to it and I just lost the whole tranny last week. I have had nothing but bad experience at 3 different Chrysler dealerships over the years with the various repairs I have had done. I am really down, down, down on their mechanics and service managers.

I had 177K on my Pacific, albeit that is a TON of miles for an 05, I still expected more from this car.

I am trying to find out if I can have a FWD tranny put in it instead of the AWD, which is very costly. I don't need the AWD feature....

My advice to you is to ask around and find a tranny shop that others have recommended that you can take it to for a diagnosis. I just don't trust the Chrysler mechanics anymore!

1Michelle

Old 12-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Default clunkin

I have a 2005 pacifica too, 92,000 miles AWD, and it clunks too. It seems random too me but I feel like it is pretty consistent with the shifting. I guess we will do the tranny fluid first and see if that helps, I will let you guys know

Old 12-16-2009, 05:24 AM

I opened the hood, and looked the area over. As I leaned into the PAC I gave it a little push. I couls see the engine move to the drivers side. I heard the clunk! I called the dealer and told him either an engine mount was loose or bad. Could the R&R of the TC have caused this problem or just a weak mount? I am getting better at thinking these things out.

Old 02-24-2016, 12:44 AM
Default transmission clunk

just got my pacifica at 100miles,I put a wrong transmission fluid but after 2 weeks I changed it to a better one, later I discovered the clunking things if the engine is hot and I noticed my enging is moving forward hard when ever I change the gear to "D" for the first atempt if I start the car bt it wount hav a clunc afterwards until I off the car and start again, then if my engine is cold my gear wunt reverse if I put it to "R" once in a while...hope its not the transmission oil affecting it, which I think its not

Old 09-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Default Mine too only...

Originally Posted by moe
ok i got it now.what you have is a bad motor mount at the rear of the engine.its # 3 in this picture.ive seen a dozen or so go bad.you need to open hood and while watching the engine running put foot brake and "power brake" it both inforward gear and reverse.you will see engine move up and down alot and hear the clunk.moe.ps be careful!
My 2007 Pacifica does this clunk noise when leaving a stop sign if I press the accelerator pedal to quickly when I let up the brake; if I let up the brake for a moment before accelerating, it doesn't happen.
Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
any chance you could record this whine and post it here?
Dealer has no explanation, so I will try your suggestion.