Chrysler PT Cruiser Offering a sedan and 2 door convertible, both of which offer a naturally aspirated or turbocharged engine, this car has something to offer everyone

2006 Touring Turbo "no crank"

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2023, 03:14 PM
Unhappy 2006 Touring Turbo "no crank"

About 3 years ago we bought this beautiful 2006 Turbo spotless with 56K miles on it. Used the car for about 2 years, flawlessly, no issues. A year ago I drove the car to work. No issues. Came out of work, turned the key, ................. nothing, no crank. EVERYTHING else works fine. Had the car towed home, unhooked from the tow truck, got in the car, turned the key, started right up. Cannot use the car for the past year, sometimes it starts, most of the time, nothing. I have tested or replaced the following; Battery replaced, .... starter tested, ..... starter relay replaced, .... ign switch replaced, ... crank sensor replaced, ...cam sensor replaced, ...cleaned all the ground locations. Tearing out what little hair I have left! ........... What the heck could this be? ............ Coded the car, getting "communication fault" codes. So the other day I started checking the starting circuit system. Looking for bad wire, corroded wire, anything .................. this morning I connected a test light to the starter circuit, turned the key, started right up! I started this car at least ten times during the day! Then ............................... NOTHING! I am at my wits end .......................................

Blue Pete

Old 06-10-2023, 06:29 AM

can you be more specific on which codes it is?
is it a manual or auto?
you've checked most things but, sticks have a switch on the clutch that prevent start engagement unless the pedal is depressed, and autos have an interlock switch (used to be mechnical, but I think this generation of PTs does it electronically) that prevents starting unless in park or neutral.
if manual, you can bypass the clutch interlock switch, but BE CAREFUL as it will now start while in gear!
if auto, try cycling the shifter through all its positions, and try starting in N or P the next time it acts up.
also does the PRND3L display react accordingly?

Old 06-12-2023, 07:15 AM

Forgot to say that it's an automatic;

Here's a list of the "could be's" (things I have not ruled out)

Could be a fault in the antitheft sys. (chip key identification)
Could be a fault in the TRS ( transmission range sensor) (nuetral safety switch)
Could be a fault in the PCM
Could be a fault in the harness to the PCM

I see that when I unplug the PCM for a bit then plug it back in, the car starts and runs great. Now, that could be a PCM issue or it could be me moving the harness around.
I have seen many posts on this same issue but I have never seen a solution.

Below is a copy of the scan report;

Old 06-12-2023, 08:34 AM

Am I correct in assuming that, by "unplugging" the PCM you mean pulling all 4 connectors off the actual PCM?
If so, yea you might have either disturbed something back into place, or you effectively "rebooted" it. I was going to suggest, pulling power from the battery and letting everything reset, before moving on.
I'd clear all the codes now and see what happens, as you no longer have a baseline to work from.

Old 06-12-2023, 05:54 PM

I'm actually hoping now to try it and get nothing, that way I can repeat what I did and see if I get the same results. If I do it means I'm zeroing in on the fault. Also I was told today by a Chrysler Tech that the TIPM could be the problem as well because the connectors are on the bottom of the PDC and are prone to dirt and corrosion.