Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 2.8 crd engine fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 AM
Default 2007 2.8 crd engine fault

Hi all
I have a major problem with my voyager and wondered if anyone has seen
this before. I am getting a lot compression coming OUT of where the egr should
be drawing air in. Possible exhaust valve stuck ?
Is it pretty simple to remove the head ? Has anyone had this before

Thanks

Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 AM

Have you inspected the EGR for blockage with oily black carbon?
Many motors don't just recycle exhaust gas this way, they recirculate crankcase fumes too.
A bad turbo can also inject engine oil into the inlet air stream via worn bearings*, although bluish smoke would then be visible from the tail-pipe. Some Renault diesels have had "racing-runaway" of the engine as the diesel burns engine oil from the turbo instead of normal diesel fuel. The engine cannot be stopped in this case by turning off the ignition. This can only be done by stalling the engine on the clutch if it's a manual.
* A case for ALWAYS using full synthetic engine oil where a turbo is fitted, since synthetic stands the very high temps. of the turbo rather better than mineral. This is why jet engines always use synthetic for bearing lubrication.

Leedsman.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 AM

Egr was dirty but I disconnected this and that's when I found compression coming from inlet, any ideas ?

Can you take the head off in the engine bay on the 2.8

Old 12-01-2013, 09:25 AM

For serious engine malfunction, there will be other symptoms, you need to describe them. For air to come OUT of the inlet system, engine couldn't function -- one would assume you feel this effect when cranking attempting to start?

Leedsman.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 AM

It will run on 3 and it's like it's coming out of the inlet when it should be exhausting

Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 AM

Ah-ha! Running on three, and the air coming out of the inlet system is "pulsy"?
Possibly a bent valve, esp. if the engine has been over-revved. There should be some white smoke coming out the tail-pipe from the unburnt fuel to the missing cyl. unless the micro has detected it and has inhibited it. What if any, are the errorcodes?
A compression test will indicate which cyl. is dodgy, it will be obvious.
This is an o/h cam engine so take the top off and have a good look around the dodgy cylinder. If my memory serves me right, it's also a 4-valver, so there's twice the chance of a bent one.

Before going to these lengths, do your homework on the web to see if there is anything more definitive, as this is getting away from purely amateur stuff -- e.g., do you have a compression tester? Can you disable the injection system while testing?
You may consider this problem is more for a pro. diesel mechanic.
Caution: Commonrail diesel engines use a very high pressure injection system, around 25,000lb/sq." This can be dangerous if mis-handled.

Leedsman.

Last edited by Leedsman; 12-02-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Caution.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:22 AM
tfb

Take the rocker cover and check for broken/missing followers. This is a quick easy check and I have known of them to fail.
If they look intact then compression test to find out which cyclinder it is and then it will be a head off to check the valves. If you can't do it yourself it may be cheaper just to fit a second hand engine.

Regards
Richard

Old 12-02-2013, 01:48 PM

Cheers everyone for the advice, I'm gonna take a lol in the next couple of days
but I'll post on here what I found and hopefully fixed