Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another P1130 problem on Voyager 2.5crd

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 04:39 PM

Merlin, thanks for all the help you have given until now.
To let you know what is happening: Since my post last week I drove about 250 km without a problem. The car would start immediately and has not stalled. So I was becoming optimistic that the problem had went away. Yesterday I got a new pipe from the dealer and installed it.
But today the car has stalled again, although only once. I drove it home without further problems. When I tried to start it a little while later, I had to crank it a few times before it would start. Don't know if this is a typical a symptom of anything or not. Furthermore I have again drained about 75 ml water from the fuel filter.
I guess I have to take the car to a dealer, but really would like to be able to fix the car myself or at least know what needs to be done. Related to this I still have some questions:
- Assuming that the injectors are ok, what else could be cause the rail to lose pressure, sometimes while starting and sometimes mid-trip?
- Specifically are there any parts that are sensitive to stored fuel gone bad, because this is what I think has triggered the problems to begin with,
- Can I take apart these parts and clean them?
- The fuel pump at the rear can be heard when one turns the ignition and stops after about 10 seconds. Is this pump needed once the engine runs? If not, can I rule out any defects to it as the cause of mid-trip engine failures?
- Is there a second fuel pump that takes over once the engine runs?
- As long as the ignition is on, one can hear a soft high frequent buzz coming from where I think the high pressure pump is sitting. Which part is making this sound?

Old 09-13-2009, 03:40 AM

I think it going to be the prop valve/ high pressure solenoid on the high pressure pump. (sits just under the alternator 2 wires on it, 3 screws hold it onto the pump).

Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 AM

No been on the forum for a while (my Voyager is running pretty well these days).
Does the P1130 code reset itself?
I did check it a while ago and still had the P1130 code showing even though it had run well for a while. One problem I do have is if I am in stationery traffic for a few minutes with the engine idling - it idles fine, but when I start to accelerate, the engine falters and cuts out. If I switch the ignition completely off, it will start again without a problem and runs fine - any ideas?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:16 PM

Hi
That will be why you are still getting the code. Need to run all the test again but if it runs fine the rest of the time I would think probably sticking prop valve.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:11 AM

Does this mean replacement, or is it serviceable (or even worth the effort if it's only on long idles)?

Does the error code clear itself eventually if it's fixed, or does it have to be reset?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM
Default update

It has been a while since my last message. This update is to let you know what is happening. Of course any advice is also very welcome. After my last post I have tried a few things:
- Last weekend I Tried to loosen up the torx bolts that holds the solenoid on the high pressure pump, but a lot of force was needed and I was afraid to damage something so I left it at that.
- A few days later I went to the dealer and explained my problem. Based on my story they recommended to replace the high pressure pump and adding an extra lift pump. This costs about 1880 euro including VAT. I am not sure but probably the new pump comes with a new solenoid, so their solution probably fixes many of the causes that were discussed in this thread.
- While I was there I have also asked for a read out of the scan tool. At idle the common rail pressure was never lower than 2204 psi (152 bar). The set point at idle was 2349 psi (162 bar). These values seem to be well within range as given by Merlin. I hope this rules out problems with the solenoid or high pressure pump. Is this hope justified??
- If this is the case it seems to me the recommended repair of the dealer will not make a difference.
- The mechanic said that the lift pump made a funny sound, as if it was pumping fuel directly in the tank. Then again, at the time the tank was 80km into reserve, so this might have something to do with it. The mechanic mentioned that sometimes the lower o-ring inside the fuel filter gives in.
- They had one on stock which I have used today. It took me quite a while to get it done, but at least now I know how to replace the lift pump if this is ever needed. I could not see anything obviously wrong with the old O-ring except that the new one looked slightly "fatter". Also I do not hear a different sound coming from the pump. So I don't expect my work of today made a real difference.
- Since this repair I made a test drive of 10 km . By the way, earlier this week I also drove about 120 km all without further incidents.

I will drive some more in the coming weeks. If the problem reappears I am inclined to replace the lift pump. Meanwhile I will check this forum to check for great ideas!

Old 09-20-2009, 05:48 PM

Hi
The actual fuel pressure and set point pressure never stay constant, it's if you have high fluctuations (going over and under set point by over 300 psi) that I would replace the solenoid and yes a new solenoid should come with a new pump.

Old 10-22-2009, 09:15 AM

After driving without incidents for 300km the problem is suddenly came back, unfortunately. This morning I have brought the car to a repair shop that specializes in Chrysler and was recommended to me. They will investigate the problem for a few hours an hopefully will recommend a cure.
They have already linked the car to a scan tool. And again the p1130 code showed up. But interestingly they could also see extra informtion saying that the Common rail pressure had been too high! All the time I had assumed that the pressure was too low. I hope this will help to decide what the problem is. Merlin's suggestion that the problem is in tyhe solenoid might very well be right! To be continued...

Old 10-26-2009, 12:36 AM

A common rail system for internal combustion engines having a high-pressure pump mounted on a part of the engine,especially on an engine block,control gear or reduction gear. For thermal decoupling purposes,the contact areas between the part of the engine and the high-pressure pump are minimized.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:32 PM

the code is for a fuel leak, but sounds internal. a common problem on this engine is the MPROP ( metering proportioning valve) which controls fuel pressure to the rail. this causes cutting out. but very expensive. around 400 pound

Quick Reply: Another P1130 problem on Voyager 2.5crd