Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Yes been looking at some of Techmoans vids on You Tube, right enough different types tested. This Mini 0803 tested by him looks good but over me at £68+. I'll continue looking at his vids for a screen model.
#6 expressly says :

one word of warning to others, download & view from Techmoans site, not the scraped youtube step-down-quality version

Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 AM

This Mini 0803 tested by him looks good but over me at £68+.
I bought the forerunner to that, the 0801 in February last year. It was great when it worked but I had a lot of problems with it and ended up returning it to the supplier, Eprance. I'm sure I was just unlucky with the duff camera but I wasn't thrilled with the service I got from Eprance. That's when I bought the Mobius.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:40 AM

Right, QinteQ, view on Techmoan's Site and not You Tube. Did notice quality of Vid's on You Tube not too good, take it this is reason.
Techmoan mentioned the ability to make out the digits on the number plates in front gives quality of the Dash Cams.
Only thing I don't like about the Mobius is its small size, as my spaniels are good at finding things in my pockets and either trying to eat them or loosing them outside.
Anyway, Techmoans Site.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 AM

Techmoan mentioned the ability to make out the digits on the number plates
night vision capability
Night vision and digital HD in a movie format needs a totally different and considerably more expensive photodiode and CMOS than the Aptina AR0330 costing at least 3 times more at manufacturing level. You get what you pay for, Alan's right, the Mobius at the price point is about top~of~the'tree for the money out - if anyone can't live without the the LCD screen for positioning and playback then the B40 A118 is a similar priced but as yet unproven alternative. Its a given that the Mobius and the A118 use exactly the same pair of chips but manufactured by different companies so if I was pushed into desperately needing one with a screen I'd take the calculated view that even as an unproven product the A118 would be worth the risk of the investment.

At the end of the day you choose M8, for myself I know that even some of the
£300+ cameras £300+ cameras
are visually out performed by the Mobius, in which case for £300 I could buy 6 Mobius and have 360° visuals for the same price and be left with a spare each for the front & rear door on the house.

Old 11-10-2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
I could buy 6 Mobius and have 360° visuals for the same price and be left with a spare each for the front & rear door on the house.
360° visuals isn't such a bad idea. Earlier this year I did a short experiment with a wide angle camera stuck on the top of the dash. This was just my cheapo 720p 'keychain' camera but gives a good idea of what can be achieved with just one camera. No doubt a higher position in the car would be even better.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM

Yes...Emmm...Ahhh...
Here I like this 4 engine helicopter that you can fit a mini camera below and take pictures of your house etc., from hundreds of feet up...All comes back to good small camera again....And lets loop this thread.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:19 PM

What £800 Quad Helicopter forget that...

Old 11-10-2014, 02:25 PM

Thinking more about it Goggsy, if you're on a tight budget and happy to go with non HD quality for your first dash-cam, then perhaps you should just go for one of the cheaper models with a screen. It'll give you chance to get some experience and you'll learn a lot about the pros and cons. Don't forget you'll also need an SD or micro-SD card and probably nothing higher than a Class 6. A lot of dash-cams, even the later models, don't like Class 10.

Incidentally, the best way to use a dash-cam is to have it permanently mounted in an inconspicuous location, not to carry it about with you in your pocket

Old 11-10-2014, 02:28 PM

Yes...Emmm...Ahhh...
Here I like this 4 engine helicopter that you can fit a mini camera below and take pictures of your house etc., from hundreds of feet up...All comes back to good small camera again....And lets loop this thread.
I mounted my Mobius to a 30ft pole to take elevated pictures of my house

Attached Thumbnails Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.-aerial-02.jpg  

Last edited by AlanC; 11-10-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 11-10-2014, 02:30 PM

That's a good pic for a little 808 Al, and costs a fraction of the GoPro HeRo, yet while there's a mile gap on price there was little between them on performance. One of the 280° front and 280° rear cameras in the same case mounted centrally looking fore & aft would take car of most needs.

Quick Reply: Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.