Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
That's a good pic for a little 808 Al, and costs a fraction of the GoPro HeRo, yet while there's a mile gap on price there was little between them on performance. One of the 280° front and 280° rear cameras in the same case mounted centrally looking fore & aft would take car of most needs.
Yes it's not bad for a 720p that cost me £27.00. That is the 808 #16 which doesn't have 'record on power' but I believe the later models now have that feature. I usually have it mounted to my bike helmet
I do agree about using just 2 wide angle cameras mounted centrally. I must find the time to experiment more. Trouble is, when you're retired, the days fly by

Edit: Just checked the price from the supplier I use. It's now £28.68 with the 120° lens: Mini DVR 808 Micro Camera #16 V3-D HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder Video Recorder | eBay

Last edited by AlanC; 11-10-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM

Wow Wow AlanC is that house picture real, from that little black box on a key chain. I suppose after seeing your first vid on her of car travel it is.
Hard to not buy the Mobius and was wondering if it could be connected to my Sat Nav to form the screen part.

Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 PM

Goggsy, I think I may be confusing you, so just to clarify a couple of points: The shots filmed with me inside my GV were filmed with my 720p 808 #16, otherwise known as the keychain camera:
Mini DVR 808 Micro Camera #16 V3-D HD 720P H.264 Pocket Camcorder Video Recorder | eBay

The elevated still of my house was filmed with my 1080p Mobius: Mobius ActionCam Full HD Sports Camera 1080P 30FPS 720P 60FPS Pocket Camcorder | eBay
This is the camera I currently use as my dash-cam.
It's worth mentioning that, although you can take still photo's with the mobius, it's a bit difficult to press the shutter button while the camera is at the far end of a 30ft pole so the picture I posted is actually a frame grab from the video I uploaded to YouTube.

Here's another pic taken in the same way but again, grabbed from YouTube:

Attached Thumbnails Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.-aerial-03.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by goggs
Hard to not buy the Mobius and was wondering if it could be connected to my Sat Nav to form the screen part.
The Mobius has an analogue video output which I connect into the DVD player in my GV if I want to replay any events. However, you can not record and stream live video via the A/V output at the same time.
You would really need a dash-cam with a combined LCD screen in order to watch what you are recording.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:56 PM

Nice House AlanC..Nice car as well..
I'm taking notes of your cams...
Looking at the G1W HD1080p that Techmoan says, "The best (insanely Cheap) 1080p Dash Cam. Looks good and its got a screen.
That's my top choice at mo.

Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 AM

Goggsy, I'm beginning to think that a) you won't be happy unless you have a camera with a screen and b) a decent quality camera with a screen is beyond your budget.
So, like I said earlier, "perhaps you should just go for one of the cheaper models with a screen. It'll give you chance to get some experience and you'll learn a lot about the pros and cons." And the G1W does appear to be true 1080p.
Just be aware of Techmoan's and QinteQ's warnings, and also, paint the chrome ring with matt black paint.

Edit: Thanks for the comments about the house. It looked nothing like that when we bought it 14 years ago. Fortunately I'm a 'Jack of All Trades - Master of None' so I was able to do most of the work myself.

Last edited by AlanC; 11-12-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:22 AM

Forgive my ignorance, what exactly does a dashcam do. Seen a lot of topics on the issue on Mercedes and others forums

Old 11-12-2014, 05:36 AM

Follow AlanC's Dash Cam vids on here.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by darkcild101
Forgive my ignorance, what exactly does a dashcam do. Seen a lot of topics on the issue on Mercedes and others forums
It records your journeys so that in the event of an incident, you can prove who's at fault. Especially necessary these days with the increase in insurance scams. There's plenty of example footage on YouTube or go to this Dash-Cam forum: https://forum.dashcamtalk.com/forums...ded-by-you.10/

Quick Reply: Santa's Coming with a Dash Cam.