Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Stalling engine

Old 11-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Default Stalling engine

2002 Voyager 2.4 with 118K miles
The engine randomly cuts out at idle speeds, or after pulling away at a stop. Yesterday I stopped at a light and then pulled away, the engine cut out as I was in a right turn and entered the traffic lane with oncoming cars. No power, no power steering and no brakes...
Anyway this has randomly happened for years and many things have been done to try to fix the problem but it never seems to go away. The vehicle is maintained by the dealer and all services are up to date.
Yesterday I replaced the air filter, spark plugs and spark plug wires. I will change the PCV valve and the vacuum hoses to eliminate those as well.
Any other ideas?
Btw no codes are thrown at all, I have a scanner which I keep attached.

Last edited by ettienne; 11-29-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 PM

Wow, it seems I am going through the same thing but on a '03 (T&C). I just got with 128K I have not replaced anything yet but I do have a CE light. I will have it checked soon and hopefully it will point me in the right direction. I will post back with anything perhaps help you as well.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Well I have solved my problem.
This is what I have done, not sure which was the actual problem but it seems sorted out:
1. New spark plugs and wires
2. New air filter
3. New transmission solenoid pack (leaking gasket but you cannot buy a gasket)
4. New PCV valve
5. Cleaned throttle body and idle control valve

The engine is running really smooth again and no more stuttering when stopped or hesitation when pulling away.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ettienne
This is what I have done, not sure which was the actual problem but it seems sorted out:
2. New air filter
4. New PCV valve

The engine is running really smooth again and no more stuttering when stopped or hesitation when pulling away.
OK, I have done steps 1 & 2, I don't think 3 is too significant for this problem. But 4 & 5, might be the culprits. It wouldn't hurt to try. Thanks, I will have these changed this weekend and post after a couple of days.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:27 PM

Agreed, #3 is not related to the stalling issue.
Give your throttle body and idle control valve a good cleaning with carb cleaner. Remove the idle control valve from the throttle body and clean the metal tip part and clean the hole it seats in. I used a brass wire brush to clean the metal tip of the idle control valve real well.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:08 PM

Well, checked those item and it has not stalled yet. But my Mechanic says that it will happen again because its most likely the computer that will need to be replaced. Since, its still on the warranty from the shop I purchased from they will pick on up for me.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by ettienne
2. New air filter
4. New PCV valve

Number 5

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by TNtech
Number 5
Agree but in my situation the van does not stutter or choke. It just turns off with no warning. When it does not turn off, at times, everything fades or dims down for about 2 seconds and then continues to run normally. So, its sounds to me like an electrical problem.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:06 PM

CAR JUST STALLED, not the crank or cam sensors , and new fuel pump

Old 12-14-2010, 04:10 PM

my car stop[ped running and will not start. IU have checked the fuel sensors and cam sensors and changed the fuel pump to no avail I am not at a lost, can anyone answer to my dilema?