Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Default Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.

Car:
Chrysler Voyager / Town & Country
Year: 2004
CC 3301 , V6

Hello

The wind wipers on my lovely car do not shut of when I shut off the engine.
I have to open the bonnet to unconnect the cable to the wind wiper motor to shut of the wind wipers.
To my disappointment the exchange of switch on the wheel and change of wind wiper motor did not fix the issue. The wipers behave the same.

I can change speed to normal to extra fast when i rotate the switch although the adjustable speed and 0 (off) do not work at all, the speed then is normal speed.

At the moment this problem is out of my knowledge although it might not be so hard to fix with some help from a helpful person. At the moment I can not afford to let a garage take care of the problem as long as it cost less than $150. Where I life it cost about $100 just to look at the car so if I can identify the problem it might help me to keep my budget or fix it myself.

So far have i successfully changed the speedometer and radio on the voyager. I did also changed switch and wind wiper motor but I have not more experience than that.

Many thanks to everyone that gives one minute to try to help!

/Henrik

Old 12-27-2015, 04:03 AM

Hi there,

This is indeed an unusual one, but as with all it sounds like something relating to the BUS on these cars.
The tech details say this:

The front wiper/washer system consists of the
following features: lo-hi-speed, mist wipers, inter-
mittent wipers and wipe after wash. The front
wiper system is only active when the ignition switch
is in the RUN/ACC position. The vehicle operator
selects the front wiper function using the front
wiper switch (a resistive multiplexed stalk switch)
which is integral to the Multi-Function Switch. The
front wiper switch is hardwired to the Body Control
Module (BCM). Upon receiving a wiper switch sig-
nal, the BCM sends a PCI Bus message to the Front
Control Module (FCM). The FCM controls the ON/
OFF relay, the HIGH/LOW relay and the front and
rear washer pump motors.
The Wiper system utilizes the BCM to control the
on/off and hi/low relays for the low and hi speed
wiper functions, intermittent wiper delay as the
switch position changes, pulse wipe, wipe after
wash mode and wiper motor functions. The BCM uses the vehicle speed input to double the usual
delay time below 10 MPH (16 KPH).
So that to me points potentially to the Front Control Module as that controls the relay. So easiest job first, identify the relay and check if it's jammed, as that would probably cause what you're seeing.
So in the fusebox, take a look at the wiper relay

Middle relay at the bottom of the image. I suspect this has just jammed and is constantly powering the motors. Take it out and it should at least stop your wipers moving, it's easier than disconnecting the wire to the motors.

Then just test the relay, if you have a multimeter you can check the pins, I *think* these relays are marked 68832C, if so they are the 5-pin variety, and similar to this Bosch 5-pin example diagram:

So pin 30 and 87A are normally connected (when in the off position) and 30 and 87 are connected when in the on position. Test those two connections and see when the relay is disconnected which ones are giving continuity.
If that all looks ok, then it must be the supply to the relay being constantly on. You can test this (Be careful with the probes, as they're getting signal/power from the FCM and shorting them, etc, will cause a lot more headaches if the FCM or BCM get damaged) by probing for voltage on the two trigger pins of the relay socket (in the relay board). Pin 85 and 86 on the relay are the coil/supply so in theory these should only get power when you switch your wiper switch on, and ignition on. If you're constantly getting voltage to those when ignition is off, then it's bad news and probably the FCM being faulty and probably needing replaced (which also involves reprogramming, so not a cheap option).

Good luck, and remember to post back how you get on/what you find.

Attached Thumbnails Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.-2010-08-21.jpg   Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.-relay_diagram.gif  
Old 12-27-2015, 04:47 AM

As lucky would have it, I was under the bonnet of mine earlier so thought I'd take a look at the fusebox and fuses.

Slightly different to that diagram mine, mine is a 2.8CRD 2005 model, so check yours first. But for reference here is mine and I found one fuse and one relay for the front wipers as you can see.

I took out the "Front Wiper On Relay" which is the standard black package relay, which is a 5-pin as I previously mentioned and they have got the pins labelled with the numbers (85,86, etc) so testing that one should be easy enough.
No point checking the fuse as we know that will be OK as the wipers are actually triggering.

Good luck :-)

Attached Thumbnails Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.-fusebox_2005_28crd.jpg   Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.-fusebox_2005_28crd_labels.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Default Removed the relay and the wipers shut of

Thank you andyb2000 the info and pictures are very helpful and i am so thankful because I was out of ideas.
My Chrysler have the same fusebox as your 2.8CRD 2005 model.

I removed the relay that you marked and the wipers shut of.
I am thinking of buying a new relay, the original part is hard to find here in UK, do you know a different brand that will fit the car?

Old 12-28-2015, 03:32 AM

No problem, glad that helped. The only problem is the Chrysler relays aren't in the standard pin configuration most automotive relays come in.

These are Omrom 21911C 05269988AA relays and have the 3 pins on the 'top' row and two on the 'bottom' row, so the regular car shops don't have them (did a quick search on Halfords initially to try and find one for you, and nope, they're all in the standard 'round and middle' pin configuration.

Eurocarparts might stock them if you ring them up, these seem tricky to find as I've done a few searches, various come up on eBay if you want to try those (most are used).

But this is playing parts darts, if I were you I'd test the coil power first, pin 85 and 86 (should be marked on the base of the relay) are the power so use a meter and test if those in the fusebox are constantly supplying power. If they are, then a new relay won't help you I'm afraid.

Attached Thumbnails Wind wipers do not shut of. Changed switch & motor without result.-omrom_5pin.jpg  
Old 12-28-2015, 04:40 AM

Did you swap the relay with the one next to it just to check it's the relay giving you the problem?

Old 12-28-2015, 04:57 AM

I took the relay horn relay and changed it with the front wiper on/off and now my wipers works as usual I am so thankful!
I will try to contact eurocarparts and I might buy from Ebay. The horn works with the faulty relay but I am worried that if I let the faulty relay stay there it will drain my battery?
One again many Thanks Andy B

Old 12-28-2015, 05:36 AM

Good call Scotsman4th, I love a simple solution (Which I tend to miss and go for the complex one!!)

So that sounds hopeful that it's a faulty relay, chances are it sticks, and when you wiggle the relay out/replace it, it normally causes the corrosion/sticking to free up momentarily. (If you feel adventurous, when you get a replacement, pop open the relay, clean the contacts and you can probably have it as a spare)

Yes, you will probably have a problem next time you use the horn as it will probably stick on again. (Also remember, a horn is a critical safety element, you don't want it to fail on you at the wrong moment)
So yes, order another one from somewhere and that should solve it for you. Glad it was an easy fix/find.