General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loss of power

Old 01-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Default Loss of power

I have a 2000 neon, LE, and recently Ive noticed quite a bit of power loss, especially when I am going up a hill and it takes me 3 times longer to get to the top compared to before.
I changed the oil + filter, air filter and spark plugs (champions). That didnt fix it and further research revealed it might be the ignition coil so I changed that too. Now, there is a bit of improvement but not 100%.
No P codes came up so I am bummed out for now. Anyone point me to the right direction please?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by tupadjia
I have a 2000 neon, LE, and recently Ive noticed quite a bit of power loss, especially when I am going up a hill and it takes me 3 times longer to get to the top compared to before.
I changed the oil + filter, air filter and spark plugs (champions). That didnt fix it and further research revealed it might be the ignition coil so I changed that too. Now, there is a bit of improvement but not 100%.
No P codes came up so I am bummed out for now. Anyone point me to the right direction please?
Hi tupadjia,

If you do most of your work and have all the necessary tools to perform some diagnostics a couple of things to check are fuel pressure at the rail, exhaust back pressure, (restricted cat), and cylinder compression. You'll need the manufacture specs for these checks also, I'm not familiar with your vehicle so don't know if you have an external fuel filter or if it's in the fuel tank but the dealer or a repair manual can give you this info.

Hope this helps!

Sleepy.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM

So it was the catalytic converter that was restricting me from having full horse power. So what we did was take out the cat and out in a replacement pipe. Not only does it sound like a performance muffler but it also hauls ***