General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Please help my 73 Satellite Wagon run right

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Default Please help my 73 Satellite Wagon run right

Hello, so my 73 Satellite wagon has a 318 with a 2BBL Carter carb, and when I got it, it drove home 1 1/2 hours just fine, but after that it would stall out when I gave it gas. I changed the air cleaner, fuel filter, cap, rotor, wires, charcoal canister filter, plugs, and rebuilt the carb. Soon it grew out of that habit and took on a new one; it would only run for a couple of minutes and then die out, not wanting to start again for a while. Once it died, I tried starting fluid and it would fire up again for a few seconds, most likely indicating a fuel problem...so I replaced the fuel pump, which helped a little. So now what it does is idle nicely for 5-6 minutes, the idle rises quite a bit, and then it will eventually die out. Even now, it wont start back up unless I use starting fluid or wait a long time. I am suspecting the choke at this point, since it seems to happen when the car heats up, and the idle changes when the choke moves. Any suggestions on what I should check or how to fix this?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:43 AM

I would suggest a fuel-system-cleanout...

remove/empty/clean out fuel tank/pickup-and-strainer...

ensure new fuel filter (if you havent already)...

Use some gas dryer on 1st restart... just in case some water was/is in the lines...

Hope that helps!