300M, Concorde, LHS, New Yorker Discuss the Chrysler LH platform cars within.

Concorde cooling system routing diagram?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:46 PM
Default Concorde cooling system routing diagram?

I really need a diagram of the cooling system showing all the hoses and connections.
I have a 2002 Concorde with the 3.5 liter engine that is boiling over even though the temp gauge never goes beyond the 3/4 mark.
I bought this car from a private dealer who I thought was giving me a good deal. What I found out later is that after it has been running for a while and is brought up to highway speeds, it starts to boil over (the test drives were too short and quick to discover this issue). I didn't have time to do anything but the simplest diagnosis so I brought it to mechanic. He tested everything and replaced the water pump, thermostat, radiator, coolant reservoir and cap and back flushed the heater core. These items were replaced one at a time after the previous "fix" didn't fix it. After all of this the problem remained. I then brought the car to the local Chrysler dealer to see what they could do. A $1000 later after another new water pump, timing belt, coolant reservoir cap and thermostat, the problem remained. They then did what they called a "clear hose test" which supposedly checks the coolant passages throughout the engine. They told me that the coolant passages in the block were plugged and a rebuild or new engine was required (probably due to the dealer adding something to stop leaks). So I bought myself a rebuilt long block and swapped the engine out. THE SAME PROBLEM REMAINS!! While I was putting the new engine in, it occurred to me that the routing of the coolant hoses on the original engine seemed odd. There is a four-way connection at the rear of the engine that connects the heater core, the coolant reservoir, the thermostat housing and the PCV valve together. Why would the PCV valve, which is attached directly to the rear of the upper intake manifold, have a connection to the cooling system?!?! I think what may be happening is that hot engine gases/exhaust are being pumped into the coolant and causing it to boil over. So $4000 of parts and repairs later and I am right back where I started.
Sorry for the long post but there has been a lot covered trying to resolve this problem and I am out of ideas.

P.S. The fans are working properly.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM

wow. Sorry I don't have the knowledge of this car's coolant system yet. Did fixing the PVC path fix the issue?

Old 07-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Default Problem was coolant reservoir

The plumbing is/was correct. The coolant creates a "jacket" around the PCV line to keep it from freezing in the winter. The actual problem was (another) faulty coolant reservoir. There was a leak at a seam between the chambers that wouldn't allow pressure to build up and keep the coolant from boiling.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:18 PM

The actual problem was (another) faulty coolant reservoir.
Just a note....Be careful with these, ...The 2.7 and 3.5 are NOT IDENTICAL, although the bottles physically look the same.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Ma'am, It costs so much money, because ...I CAN, And you CANNOT, And It matters Not to Me, Because I HAVE A RIDE HOME.
And this is exactly why I will never take my car to the dealer! It should matter, without customers you wouldn't have a ride home.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

His point is the person was arguing about how much it was going to cost to get something fixed and he was bitching about it. The tech does not make up the labor price for where he works he is just like any other place that is commission based. If your life was on the line for killing some one and u did not do it would u go with a cheap 30 and hour lawyer or would u go for some one with more experience and pay his 150 or more and hour to get your life back? Most dealer tech are good at what they do and most will command top dolor amount for fixing something that no one else has been able to do.

For example I started a job at a local discount tire for a few months until the new dealer will avail.
They had a Jeep that they had there for 6 months and no one could fix it when through 6 techs. I was asked to take a look at it 3 hours later and I asked for 5 hours labor and 50 bucks in parts it was running. Should I be denied that labor time for fixing something that they had already spend more then 15 hours of labor and hundreds of dollars trying to fix? I personally have had to fix cars from other shops that they had no idea what they were doing and the cust complained about the cost to get it fixed from the dealer but had no issue paying for 3x the amount at the original shop and they did not fix it. Its a double standard at times.

Old 12-25-2012, 05:46 AM

Chrysler Tech,
I understand what you are saying.
My point is with attitude. There is no more important person than the customer. One should always approach the customer with the attitude of a servant. "What can I do for you today?"
Having been in customer service for over ten years working on mult-million dollar machinery, Customer's don't need an attitude of, "Well I can do it and you can't," they need your help.
I've had major customers wait for me to get to their site for 3 weeks because they didn't want anyone else, and they didn't care what it cost. See the difference?
Jesus calls all of us to be servants. You will be richer than your wildest dreams if we follow his lead. Fitting for Christmas morning.
God Bless One and all and Have Very Merry Christmas

Old 12-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Vary true

Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM

Oh --here we go again.......

First off...this thread hadnt been responded to in a year and a half, so stop trolling around picking arguments. I gave the guy the best response I could think of, based on the fact that the same issue had "Burned" me in the past.

Now, since I have given up arguing the point, and you are free as a human being to disagree with me if you wish, Just think about a few things for a moment.

My point is with attitude. There is no more important person than the customer. One should always approach the customer with the attitude of a servant. "What can I do for you today?"
Having been in customer service for over ten years working on mult-million dollar machinery, Customer's don't need an attitude of, "Well I can do it and you can't," they need your help.
I've had major customers wait for me to get to their site for 3 weeks because they didn't want anyone else, and they didn't care what it cost. See the difference?
Agreed.....I too have customers that ask for me when they come in, and will wait for me if I'm not available at that time. And they always pay without an argument. I simply have a problem with the person that tells me I'm incompetent, or too expensive, while they are sitting in their kitchen on the phone with me, and I havent even seen the car yet.
I have a problem with the customer who comes in with a brand new car, completely equipped with add on DVD players, 26 inch wheels and 2000 dollar tires, Telling me that my oil changes are too expensive.

Yes, I understand that these people need help.......But like I tell my children when they ask for help with their Homework....."I will help you, but I wont "DO IT FOR YOU". It is still their responsibility.
Since "Forever" ..there has been a better business bureau.....But never a Better customer bureau. Just think what would happen if all the business owners in the neighborhood got together and "Blacklisted" their problem customers?

"He is a bad business man , because he doesnt treat his customers with respect"
"He is a bad CUSTOMER , because he doesnt treat his businessman with respect"

It works both ways....

On a parting note, ...No one ever reads the first two red lines of my signature......WHY NOT?????? In short, I love what I do, But why should I be expected to "Give Away The Farm" to make an honest living???? That seems to me as the equivalent of selling the car for gas money...

Last edited by Djinn-n-Tonic; 12-26-2012 at 09:31 AM.