Chrysler Pacifica Luxury meets versatility in this mid-sized sport utility vehicle

Despite possibly the worst luck ever, we still love our 07 Pacifica

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 04:00 PM
Default Any Idea what this is?

Hello! I found this forum searching online for anything that can help me figure out this problem I’m having with an 06 Chrysler Pacifica Touring.

There is a huge leak that gushes out from underneath every time we try starting the vehicle.. We have no idea where it’s coming from and originally thought the engine was blown. However, there is no knocking or any visible sign of damage on the engine at all.. Furthermore, the vehicle actually starts when refilled with oil but ends up shutting off due to the amount of oil loss..

Given your experience and knowledge on Pacificas which I know you to have from having read this post.. would you have any idea how we can fix this or will getting a new engine (what we’re trying to avoid) ultimately be the best option on this?

Old 11-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Let's start with pinpointing where the leak is puddling up on the ground
Is it closer to the passenger front tire, or closer to the center of the engine compartment?
Also, is it closer to the rear of the engine compartment or more toward the front bumper?
This will be a good place for me to send you looking in the right area.
One more thing, is it only leaking when it's running or does it start leaking as soon as you put oil in it?

Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 PM

I believe the puddle is closer to the center of the engine compartment, but in relation to the driver and passenger side tires, I’d say it’s closer to the passenger front tire.. it’s also toward the rear of the engine compartment. It doesn’t leak while off. It starts leaking once it’s turned on.

Originally Posted by That Jeep Guy
Let's start with pinpointing where the leak is puddling up on the ground
Is it closer to the passenger front tire, or closer to the center of the engine compartment?
Also, is it closer to the rear of the engine compartment or more toward the front bumper?
This will be a good place for me to send you looking in the right area.
One more thing, is it only leaking when it's running or does it start leaking as soon as you put oil in it?

Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Javiereli27
I believe the puddle is closer to the center of the engine compartment, but in relation to the driver and passenger side tires, I’d say it’s closer to the passenger front tire.. it’s also toward the rear of the engine compartment. It doesn’t leak while off. It starts leaking once it’s turned on.
Some Pacs were the victim of poor aluminum engine block castings, my 3.5 being one of those adversely affected. Two years ago I was astounded to find coolant leaking out of the side of the engine block (in the block casting area just above the starter) due to corrosion of said cheap-***, thin, pot metal engine casting. Very weird (and usually fatal for engines). Was able to affect a fix using Blue Devil Block Sealer, has not leaked for the past ~100,000 miles. I believe your 2006 also has the 3.5.

Old 11-21-2019, 11:22 AM

Yes it is a 3.5L.. So, you believe this might be the issue I’m having? How do you recommend applying the blue devil sealer?

(Btw: I didn’t think anyone would respond to this thread, but I really appreciate having this conversation!! Thank you much!)

Originally Posted by djetelina
Some Pacs were the victim of poor aluminum engine block castings, my 3.5 being one of those adversely affected. Two years ago I was astounded to find coolant leaking out of the side of the engine block (in the block casting area just above the starter) due to corrosion of said cheap-***, thin, pot metal engine casting. Very weird (and usually fatal for engines). Was able to affect a fix using Blue Devil Block Sealer, has not leaked for the past ~100,000 miles. I believe your 2006 also has the 3.5.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:56 PM

It could be the dreaded leakage thru block caused by a corroded block. Could. I would suggest using lots of eyes and lots of light and try to identify the source of the leak. And if it is a something leaky that can be unbolted to simply remove and replace it. The last ditch plan would be to use Blue Devil Block Sealant (or whatever similar stuff you like). There are several choices. Hopefully you will see water weeping thru your block and that would identify a bad, leaky casting. As far as how to use the Blue Devil, the instructions are on the bottle, follow them as closely as possible.

The Block Sealers are not bad about clogging the radiator or heater core or doing any damage. Other than wiping out the water pump. I actually applied Blue Devil twice, the 2nd time it wiped the bearings and seals out in the water pump. But not a totally bad deal, since I now have over 100,000 miles on a leak free block and the water pump and timing belt are not all that bad to replace...

Old 11-21-2019, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Javiereli27
Btw: I didn’t think anyone would respond to this thread, but I really appreciate having this conversation!! Thank you much!)
I'm always glad to help if I can.
I was suspecting possibly an oil filter that wasn't quite tight enough, or something of that nature, but that's not in the area of your leak.
I was not aware of the bad castings until djetelina just mentioned it.
He's a wealth of knowledge and has been a tremendous help to me in my Pacifica adventure.

Good luck, I hope you can resolve the issue without it being terminal!

However, if an engine replacement is necessary I have a 3.5L w/94,000 miles I would let go dirt cheap.
BUT.... I'm in Maine, so I assume you live nowhere near me.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:36 PM
Default Washing my hands of the troublesome '07 Pacifica

So, I finally reached my breaking point.
After replacing an engine, solenoid pack, mufflers, rocker panels, control arms, sway bar links, inner & outer tie rod ends, rotors & pads, an alternator, a battery, and tires...
....the rear differential started making a horrendous grinding sound that reverberates through the entire car.
I have a spare differential in the parts car, but I am DONE with this gargantuan pile of crap with a Chrysler emblem on it.

If you need something from the '07 or the '05 parts car let me know.
They're taking a trip to the junkyard some time in the near future(provided that the State of Maine ever sends me the title for the '05).
Just remember that I'm in Maine.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:05 PM

Gosh, was wondering how things were going. Was kind of worried about that particular Pac, in spite of your HUGE efforts above & beyond what the average human could do, things did not work out. Must have been one hell of a bad juju spell someone put on that Pac.
In situations that bad, sending it packing to the recycle yard is sometimes the best thing to do...

Old 04-30-2020, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by djetelina
Gosh, was wondering how things were going. Was kind of worried about that particular Pac, in spite of your HUGE efforts above & beyond what the average human could do, things did not work out. Must have been one hell of a bad juju spell someone put on that Pac.
In situations that bad, sending it packing to the recycle yard is sometimes the best thing to do...

Thanks, I put up a hell of a fight to keep it running well and making it safe to drive, but in just over a year I've put over $2,000 in parts without a proper end result.
It puts a huge damper on my desire to continue.
I hate to send new parts to the crusher, but I guess poop occurs.
I must thank you for all your help and knowledge!
You, my friend, have been a huge asset in my endeavor and I sincerely thank you!!!