Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Voyager 2004 Battery Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Default Grand Voyager 2004 Battery Problem

Here is my problem,

A year ago about this time (December), everytime I went to start the car all the dials would go from left to right before all the lights come on. I did not think there was a problem until it kept doing it almost everyday. I contacted the local dealership and they told me that the computer is doing routine check on itself. A few days later, I could not start the car and it looked like there was not enough power in the battery.

I called AA and they found out the charge on the battery is below what the car needed. It took him about 30 minutes to hook it to his onboard charger to power up my car. I took it to the dealership and they told me that I had a faulty battery (cost me about £135). A year on and I am having the same problem. Took it ot the dealership and they tested the battery with a new machine that Chrysler have provided them. It had about 80% charge on it. This was because the day before I drove for about 250 miles. I then asked them as to why it keeps draining the battery as I don't have anything connected to it.

The answer was (as mentioned by few members here before) that Voyager uses a lot of power. The battery that is used (Mopar) is not the same kind as what you get in most cars here. They said something about a 'coil' type. I told them that I now have to drive around with a booster charger always in my car. With family and kids it si very upsetting. My dealership also said that in order to charge the battery back, I would have to drive long distanceoften. He also said that there are few more of his customers complaining about the same problem. If this is the case, then is this not a problem?

I am upset with the fact that people are aware but no one is owing up to it or the dealerships are not escalating up the ladder to Chrysler. It is ok for people traveling long distance regularly but what about us?

I hope someone has found a solution for this or maybe one of the tec can shead some light on this.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Default RE: Grand Voyager 2004 Battery Problem

Have they done a battery drain test? The coil type batteries are a pain. A lot of the time when we cannot find drain and it is just the car is just not driven often enough we replace the battery with a merc one and this fixes the problem. Should you want to go down this route and require the part number let me know or ask your dealer about helping towards the cost as your battery does have a 2 years warranty and this is a know mod that the dealer will know about.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:05 PM

Merlin,

Many thanks for your reply. I am so upset with this problem. The dealers are not much help even though they know about the problem. All they want is money. They called me and told me the battery was faulty. As soon as I said it was under warrenty, they changed the tune and said it had 80% charge in it. Because of that, they would not change it. Because they are a Chrysler dealer, they can only recommend or replace an authorised part. I have had problem with this dealer before (trying to change parts that was not needed).

I have kids and I don't want to be stuck anywhere. Can you please give me the Merc Part number?

Thanks

Old 12-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Hi
the part number is A004 541 8601 26 I can find on line and will check myinfo at work tomorrow. you will need to cut out a bit of the plastic from the battery tray so it will fit in as it is a bigger and better battery. A call to customer care will confirm this number if you wish and would be could to complain about the dealer and that they are not giving you warranty on the battery.