Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intermittent bad starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 AM

- key dance for fragmented

Old 10-26-2014, 04:53 AM

Still trying to solve the starting issue.

The 'key dance' gave me the dreaded P1130.

I've had an independent garage trying to sort this out and they've tried everything they can think of.
I can't remember all the stuff they've changed but so far it's cost me £1k+
Injectors tested [twice] new pump - leak back test - new lifter pump [the one at the front with the prime button] other stuff I can't remember, not being a mechanic.

There are a couple of things that I hope might throw some light on this.
It's much worse to start after standing at night, even having to resort to easystart.
After a short trip of a mile or so is will start. After a couple of hours it struggles again.
No matter what they do it seems to start ok for a while
Secondly if I change the fuel filter it starts first time every time for about 500mls.
Checked the fuel in the filter I take off and it pure - no rubbish from the tank that could be clogging it up.

The garage say that there isn't a second pump in the tank although someone said there is.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 AM

Have you investigated what Goggs said re. crank and cam sensors? They are a known problem. Try an ac. digi-voltmeter check on their output, you'll have to measure a known good one on another vehicle while running unless someone here knows the output when measured this way. I would imagine it to be around the 1to 5volt peak to peak area, (your digi-meter will show RMS) but that's a guess. I remember errorcodes don't always show with these sensors. Best way is a 'scope of course.

Leedsman.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:13 AM

If you've changed the fuel filter body and the filter! And no air is being sucked in anywhere! Then I would say it could be the cam/crankshaft sensor! These should be replaced as a pair.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:06 AM
Old 10-26-2014, 11:58 AM
tfb

Originally Posted by fragmented
Still trying to solve the starting issue.

The 'key dance' gave me the dreaded P1130.

I've had an independent garage trying to sort this out and they've tried everything they can think of.
I can't remember all the stuff they've changed but so far it's cost me £1k+
Injectors tested [twice] new pump - leak back test - new lifter pump [the one at the front with the prime button] other stuff I can't remember, not being a mechanic.

There are a couple of things that I hope might throw some light on this.
It's much worse to start after standing at night, even having to resort to easystart.
After a short trip of a mile or so is will start. After a couple of hours it struggles again.
No matter what they do it seems to start ok for a while
Secondly if I change the fuel filter it starts first time every time for about 500mls.
Checked the fuel in the filter I take off and it pure - no rubbish from the tank that could be clogging it up.

The garage say that there isn't a second pump in the tank although someone said there is.
A few questions

Have they looked at the rise time of fuel pressure during cranking?
Is there any fuel leaking from the pressure relief valve?
Is the engine oil level showing any signs of rising?
There is no in tank pump in the 2.8, but have they tried fitting a Facet type electric pump in the fuel system? That won't cure but can be used to overcome the problem

I would also suggest another garage. Playing "parts darts" is a very expensive method of fault finding. If a garage suggests changing a part then the first thing you should ask is "what tests have you done to prove that part is defective" You may not understand the answer they give you but if it's just something along the lines of "we're just guessing" then walk away and find another garage.

If you can get it up to Cambridgeshire then I'm more than willing to have a look for you - I'm away next week though.

Regards
Richard

Old 10-26-2014, 03:48 PM

Yet again the old air in fuel is there in its running.
1130 Oxygen sensor is a fueling issue is it not. Mixture incorporating air mass. But think as said on her by Leedsman of tfb its come up when fault occurs so forget it.
Saying 500mls running ok then problems rears its ugly head as to air in fuel.
Is a piece of clear pipe required at filter to check for bubbles.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM

It won't start in the morning without pumping priming button, then it fires straight away
New top on the the fuel filter
- is the start and may well be the finish point
- they have changed the LP hand primer
- I'll bet 70 pints on leakback / air ingress
- and another litre to make a firkin on the bottom of the diesel filter water trap being loose

Old 10-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Wow - thanks guys.

A lot to take in there and quite a bit that's beyond me but it all helps.

I'm going to get the guy who's been looking into this to read the thread.

I'm working away fot the next three weeks so I changed both the air and fuel filter and it started fine when I set out this morning. Went to Thetford and Cambridge stopping and starting about five times before getting back home to solihull. The starting was a bit poor when leaving Cambridge.

Going to be covering a lot of miles in the next three weeks, I guess about 1k

Richard
I'll pass the questions on - are you serious about having a look?
I'd come to Cambridgeshie [where abouts] but obviously couldn't leave it with you without getting the train back.

Thanks

John

Trouble is even with all this going on - I still love it........................

Old 10-27-2014, 03:25 PM
tfb

Yes, I'm serious about having a look.

I'm usually around most days as I normally work nights (though this week I'm on days). Weekends or weekdays are fine. I'm not too far from you this week in Warwick and I may be able to have a quick look Thursday evening as I'll be staying in Warwick that night and have bugger all else to do in the evening.

I would hope to be able to come up with a diagnosis in a morning (or afternoon) and you wouldn't have to leave it with me

Regards
Richard

Quick Reply: intermittent bad starting