Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock bush

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by travelmad
The bushes took some time to replace, but eventally got them in.
Some info on the shocks

Each load-leveling shock absorber is a self-leveling,
self-contained vehicle leveling system and shock
absorber combined. It does not require an external
compressor, hoses, or height leveling sensors. All the
height leveling sensors, hydraulic pump, etc., are
contained inside the shock absorber. It uses road
inputs (bumps, stops, starts, turns, acceleration,
deceleration, etc.) to activate pumping, which results
in the extension and compression of the shock
absorber.
Nivomat suspension if I remember correctly!... Same shocks that I had on an old Volvo 850 T5 estate...

Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 AM
Default Self Levelling Shocks?

I've a 2003 voyager Limited XS. It clunks from rear on rebound, and I'm fairly confident that it is the rear upper shock bushes referred to in the useful link above. I'mplanning to order of the proverbial auction site and then fit myself.

I THINK it has self levelling shocks - they are very chunky looking, they have a yellow sticker on them "Sachs Made in Germany", and are embossed with a very long-winded warning about stored energy. Two questions:

1. How can I confirm that these are self-levelling shocks? So that I order the correct bushes.

2. Has anyone changed out ones with the "End of the World and visitation of plagues and pestilence" embossed warning. Any advice welcome.

PS Whilst under there to look at bushes I noted that the aluminium heat shield above the exhaust silencer (middle box) was loose and rattly due to galvanic corrosion between aluminium shield and steel screws - heat shield locally rotted away. Cut a piece of steel sheet metal with tin snips, drilled hole, made a crude XL washer and fitted that. Bit by bit I will get this vehicle to be nice and quiet....failing that I'll crank up the stereo.

Happy Motoring.

Munro,
UK South Coast/New Forest
Jaguar XJR
Triumph Spitfire

Old 07-27-2013, 04:01 AM

Hey there, see the pic on my post below
https://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/...se-rear-19761/
Sounds like you have the self leveling (v chunky all the warning writing in is on the plastic part). Dead easy to remove. Bush is a bit of a pain to get in, but new shocks will set you back £300 a pair.....

Old 07-28-2013, 01:48 AM

Thanks TravelMad that's helpful - I had seen that thread with the picture, using the forum search function.

So simply jack up rear end on frame, let axle hang down, unbolt bottom shock nut/bolt, and then undo top bolt to remove shock. Press out with a vice and press in with a vice?

Will order the bits and feed back once done.

Happy Motoring.

Munro
Jaguar XJR
Triumph Spitfire

Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 AM

Yep thats it. Although it is pretty tough getting the new bush in.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 AM

Rear shock top bush replacement: Took 20 minutes to jack up vehicle and remove rear shock. Then took 4 hours to get the old bush out and the new bush in. GRRRRR! Will be able to do in 2 hours next time (these fail regularly I gather).

Eventually, I pressed out the centre steel sleeve of the bush with a socket and vice (the bush was really shot so the centre sleeve came out very easily, and the rubber remnants fell out); then used a hacksaw inside the shock absorber top eye to carefully cut two slots across the outer steel sleeve where it remained tight in the shock absorber top eye. The two slots, about half inch apart, allowed me to pick out a slice of the outer sleeve. Then easily pushed out the rest of the outer sleeve.

Cleaned up inside the shock absorber top eye with some emery cloth. Put the new bush in the freezer for an hour; Placed the shock absorber eye in a cup of boiling hot water for 10 mins. Then used an 8" Engineers bench vice and a suitable socket to quickly press the cold bush into the hot eye. Even with this heavy duty vice and a cheater bar it was VERY hard to press the bush in. If you don't have a really heavy vice or a decent press, then take it to a shop to get it pressed out/in for you.

Don't forget when refitting the shock, fasten lightly, lower the vehicle back to the ground, then tighten up the shock bolts with the vehicle weight on the wheels.

Happy Motoring.

Munro
Jaguar XJR
Triumph Spitfire

Old 10-24-2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by pob
Looks like the shock on mine.

Do I have self levelling ones and I didn't know???

2004 crd 2.8d

there is a single leaf spring with a fairly large looking shock about 3" in diameter facing 45degrees forwards.

There are no wires or hydraulic pipes coming out of it.

Hi all, am new to this site and have been having a look round to try and find info regarding bushes etc.

Not sure if you will be able to help but here goes. I have a 2005 Grand Voyager 2.8l LTD XS Auto that has just failed its MOT due to suspension/shocker bushes.

Apparently, the offside, inner front lower suspension arm (rear?) rubber bush and offside, rear upper shock absorber has an excessively worn bush.

I have been reading on here about self levelling suspension. How would I know what I have? I am a novice with cars and have really only done the basics like brakes (few different makes), a CV joint on a corsa and basic gaiter replacements but I will always try and have a go myself.

I called a Chrysler dealer who told me I may need to get a complete rear shock absorber at the cost of £257+vat and the lower arm bush at £19+vat.

If anyone could advise me as to what exact parts I would need (cheapest options please) as well as directing me to any guidance on carrying out the work myself, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for any advice/guidance.

Martin