Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

What is the sensor on the rear ceiling? 05 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:04 PM
Default What is the sensor on the rear ceiling? 05 T&C

I have a 2005 Town & Country and when I bought it, this sensor-looking device was hanging down from the rear ceiling:

I disconnected the electrical connection and removed it, because it was annoying to have it dangling in front of the rear window (couldn't get it to stay up in its hole, guessing previous owner knocked it out when loading something in the rear). Stupid question: what is this thing?

I've done some Googling on it, looked through the owner's manual, and I can't find any mention of what it is. Based on the smoked lens over it, I'm guessing maybe it's an infrared (IR) receiver, but really don't know. Just wondering if I should try to remount it, and also it's just bothering me that I can't figure out what it is. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2018, 02:11 PM

That's the parking sensor distance lights, you would see it in your center mirroring reversing, 4 orange lights and 2 red lights from memory, the more lights, the closer you are to something.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Taronga76
That's the parking sensor distance lights, you would see it in your center mirroring reversing, 4 orange lights and 2 red lights from memory, the more lights, the closer you are to something.
Thanks for the input, but are you certain? I thought the parking distance sensor was the ultrasonic type that is mounted in the bumper. When I look around for a parking distance sensor for this vehicle, that's all I find (here is one at Advance). It also seems odd to me they would put that inside the vehicle.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:22 PM

It's not a sensor just a light display for the parking sensors

Old 08-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Taronga76
It's not a sensor just a light display for the parking sensors
Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification. I found an electronic copy of the owner's manual and searched around for this, I guess it's the "Rear Park Assist Indicator".

Has anybody had luck remounting one of these that won't stay up there? Just wondering if there's an easy trick before I try jamming stuff in the hole.