Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 T&C stalling, rough idle, hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 04:16 PM

Well, some time has passed without much being resolved with this issue until......I remembered that we had been using 87 octane fuel (factory optional fuel) for a long time and thought to give a shot with the 89 )factory recommended fuel) to see if that would make a difference. And it did. Ninety-five percent of the driveability issue has gone away (hesitation, bucking) but the periodic stalling (one time per month) within the first mile of cold start-driving persists. Also, no real improvement in fuel mileage either. Is there any software or firmware update/upgrade that may allow us to obtain better performance while using the 87 octane fuel vs the 89? Thanks if anyone can advise.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:22 AM

Hi StratLou,
Depending on the type of engine you have, there may be a software update available to resolve this. I've posted an example of one below.

TSB NUMBER: 18-003-09 REV. C
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: June 11, 2009

SUBJECT: Flash: Driveability Improvements Or MIL Illumination Diagnostic Trouble Code P0452 - Evap Pressure Switch Stuck Closed

OVERVIEW: This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:
**2008 (CS) Pacifica**
2009 (JC) Journey
2007 - 2009 (JS) Sebring/Avenger/Sebring Convertible
2008 - 2009 (RT) Town & Country/Voyager/Caravan (Includes International Markets)

NOTE: This bulletin applies to:
- **2008 CS vehicles equipped with a 4.0L Engine (Sales Code EGQ)**.
- 2007, 2008 JS vehicles equipped with a 2.4L Engine and Automatic Transmission (Sales Code EDG or ED3 with DFF) built before June 19, 2008
- 2007, 2008 and 2009 JS vehicles equipped with a 2.7L and 3.5L engine (sales code EER or EGF) built Before October 15, 2008 (MDH 1015XX)
- 2008 RT vehicles equipped with a 3.3L or 3.8L or 4.0L engine (sales code EGV, EGL or EGQ)
- 2009 RT vehicles equipped with a 3.3L or 3.8L or 4.0L engine (sales code EGV, EGL or EGQ built before May 11, 2009 (MDH 0511XX).
- 2009 JC vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (sales code ED3 or EDG) built before August 20, 2008 (MDH 0820XX)
- 2009 JC vehicles equipped with a 3.5L engine (sales code EGF) built before September 6, 2008 (MDH 0906XX)

SYMPTOM/CONDITION: Some customers may complain that the engine stumbles, runs rough, has idle fluctuations and/or surges at idle or there is a MIL illumination. Further investigation by the technician may find DTC:
- P0452 - Evap Pressure Switch Stuck Closed

Old 11-01-2015, 03:08 AM
Default Hope you don't mind me asking but lost with what to do:-(

I have a 2001 grand voyager 3.3 that usually idles great and revs fine. Also when you drive it in reverse it runs fine but when you put it in drive it with either stall out or sputter really bad. If I barely give it gas it will start to cruise and the gears in the transmission shift smooth and I can get it up 35-40mph but if I step on the gas good it will start to sputter and then die out. It has the engine light on so I ran the code. It has several codes pointing at the tps, low 5 volt voltage and pcm. Took it to several garages but they are unsure. We took throttle he's off and cleaned the idle air valve and the car worked fine for about 50 miles but now back to square one..
Sometimes it will die right away as soon as you put it into gear.
Any ideas or suggestions would be great fully received

Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM

i was wondering if you found out what the issue was my wife's 08 t and c with a 4.0 is doing the exact same thing. I have replaced plugs, air filter, and crank sensor. And cleaned the throttle body,and get valve. I have also put in fuel injector cleaner with no results. Thanks

Old 12-04-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jmdw
i was wondering if you found out what the issue was my wife's 08 t and c with a 4.0 is doing the exact same thing. I have replaced plugs, air filter, and crank sensor. And cleaned the throttle body,and get valve. I have also put in fuel injector cleaner with no results. Thanks
No, not yet. Several other mechanical issues came up and have needed tending to in the meantime. Will be hittin' this again soon, though. Just as soon as the other issues are finished. Will post back asap with an answer either way. Could you do the same if you find out anything for yours as well? What is it about the wives' vans in our cases! Hang in there.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:29 PM

Check that wire that comes off the auto box and goes to a module. This fault with odd things happening keeps coming up on here.
Also check for toasted wires near exhaust pipework, reroute if possible.

Last edited by goggs; 12-04-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Adding words
Old 01-08-2016, 02:10 PM

So most recently (over the last month or so), the engine will stall periodically within the first 1/8 of a mile when taking the first drive of the day. As well as the ongoing hesitation/ stumble/ bucking (non-smooth) issue we've had for awhile when driving at and trying to hold a steady speed (most noticeable between 30 and 45 mph). At a recent trip to the dealer, they said there was no check engine light, no stored codes, no software updates (although I don't know how they missed the one posted by "Chrysler Cares" earlier in this thread). I am trying a different dealer next Tuesday to see if a new set of eyes may yield a more positive result but am also looking for any more thoughts from you all on the forum that we may want to mention to look for so the dealer may have a better direction to focus on (and we don't have to keep paying for diagnostic time with no results in the end. It gets very costly). Thanks so much if anyone has anything else to add.

Last edited by StratLou; 01-08-2016 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by StratLou
So most recently (over the last month or so), the engine will stall periodically within the first 1/8 of a mile when taking the first drive of the day. As well as the ongoing hesitation/ stumble/ bucking (non-smooth) issue we've had for awhile when driving at and trying to hold a steady speed (most noticeable between 30 and 45 mph). At a recent trip to the dealer, they said there was no check engine light, no stored codes, no software updates (although I don't know how they missed the one posted by "Chrysler Cares" earlier in this thread). I am trying a different dealer next Tuesday to see if a new set of eyes may yield a more positive result but am also looking for any more thoughts from you all on the forum that we may want to mention to look for so the dealer may have a better direction to focus on (and we don't have to keep paying for diagnostic time with no results in the end. It gets very costly). Thanks so much if anyone has anything else to add.
Hi StratLou,
Please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist you through this process. Feel free to reach out via PM.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM

Just an update if it will help anyone. After some hours of diagnostic testing, the Chrysler technician at the dealership focused on the possibility of a faulty EGR valve and after further testing discovered that was the problem. Replaced the valve and now all is good!